Saturday, February 21, 2009

REDISCOVERED AMERICAN CONTRALTO

Having been around - ahem - a bit, I like to think that I know a lot about American singers.
Then comes the joy of discovering for myself a "new" artist. This was the case when a friend emailed me a message to go to YouTube and type in Eula Beal. I urge you to do the same thing and play the "None But The Lonely Heart" clip. I was amazed. Her fans labeled her The American Kathleen Ferrier. Alas, her career endured but a mere ten years. She did continue to be involved in community vocal activities in Northern California, but stopped singing professionally as her husband wanted her to participate in an "unchallenged domestic life." Pity. This clip reminds what a boon modern technology can be to education and enjoyment if handled in an appropriate manner.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment